Monday, September 29, 2008

Hic..hic..excusheeeee meeee!!!

I swirled from East to West, then stopped and thought
Only to swirl again from North to South.
I grinded my teeth and gripped the ground
Unsettling the sand with my unsteady feet.

Some watched in amazement, others laughed
As I thrust my tongue upward and blew out the stench.
My vision was multiple, my eye lids almost closed
But whatever it was, I refused to drop my clothes

They call me by many names in Kerala
Drunkard, alcoholic, anti-social element and the like.
But I am just an ordinary man, who is in pain
And doing his best to fill the government coffers plain

I work hard at day time, with the sun almost piercing my flesh
And then when it’s evening I go out for a swig.
My wife curses me, tells me I am of no use
My children crowd around my wasting body.

I want to change but just don’t know how
Many buy me a drink and then say they wished I changed.
I hope one day I’ll change, go home early and sup with my family
Till then the roads of Kerala will be my stage…………


(Kerala tops the per capita liquor consumption in India (http://www.humanrightskerala.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5553&Itemid=5). During the festival of Onam early this month, there was a record sale of alcohol in the state (http://www.hindu.com/2008/09/14/stories/2008091450250100.htm). There are several concerns which arise out of this and I will be dealing with them in the next blog. Therefore I request the reader to restrain from making any conclusions (either way) at this point of time. The person referred to here is the one who is absolutely drunk and then literally staggers home).

2 comments:

Vin said...

further concerns arising from this post is pending... BTW, Kerala tops liquor consumption.. thats new to me

Fr. Jerry Kurian said...

Yes, Kerala does top liquor consumption. And the follow up to the blog post is the one right after this (Liquory dickory dock). I think you already read it. :)